African Americans sometimes face barriers and have unmet mental health needs as a result. To reach out this community with helpful supports, NAMI has developed a section devoted to resources and mental health information.
The page includes the following:
- Overview on mental health issues and the African American community
- The importance of mental health
- How mental health issues affect the African American community, including considerations of:
- Major depression
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder(ADHD)
- Suicide, among young African American men
- Posttraumatic stress disorder(PTSD), because African Americans are more likely to be victims of violent crime
The page discusses misunderstanding of mental health issues, lack of access and the positive influence of faith as a support to mental health, while recognizing the importance of professional help at times. In the area of such help, questions to help elicit the views of medical providers, and to create a higher level of culturally sensitive and responsive care, are included. Resources including NAMI’s Sharing Hope Program are also highlighted.
Read more here.